Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Painting Demonstration - by Darren Maurer

I was invited to speak at a local artist's group here in Sioux City on Tuesday night. I have been invited to speak for them before and would normally blab on and on about painting. I still blabbed on and on about painting but decided to complete a demo while I blabbed. I needed a simple subject matter since I had only an hour-and-a-half to complete the painting from start to finish. It doesn't get much simpler than an apple. I painted from a photograph shot earlier in the day since I wasn't sure of the lighting conditions where I was going to painting. It turned out painting from the photo worked much better than painting from life would have in the space where the meeting is held. The hour-and-a-half flew by and before I knew it the painting was finished. I put the last stroke on the canvas right at 7:30 pm. (Pure Luck!) Everyone seemed to enjoy watching me paint as I thought out loud going through all my painting decisions. There were lots of great questions. I was extremely happy with the finished painting and I surprised the group by giving the painting away to one of them in a raffle like drawing at the end of the session. I think I could really get into teaching painting.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. B said...

I absolutely LOVE you artwork!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Mommarae24 said...

You can always do the web broadcasts...tips on painting. Either here or YouTube. Be the next Bob Ross!

9:33 PM  
Blogger Darren Maurer said...

Not a bad idea....I'm going to have to think the Bob Ross thing over though. I'll sleep on it.....maybe two nights?

10:18 AM  
Blogger Lainey said...

I would love to see you paint! Please please!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Randi said...

Darren, yes we all loved watching you paint and you gave such good instructions along the way, explaining your steps and processes. I think you would make a great teacher.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

great work.......

9:42 AM  
Anonymous priyanka rastogi said...

nice work.....

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker