Monday, April 27, 2009

New York Mets Logo Baseball by Darren Maurer

6" x 6"
After I painted the baseball in my previous blog post I received a request from a collector in New York City to complete a commission New York Mets baseball. Lettering and logos always provide a challenge when included in a painting. It always makes me crazy seeing bad letter structure in paintings. I have been an art director at a sign company for over twenty years and lettering structure mistakes jump out at me very quickly. It can really make or break your piece when done well or poorly.


While I was working on this I could not get the old Garrett Morris skit from Saturday Night Live out of my head. Morris' most famous character was Latino baseball player Chico Escuela who best line was, "Baseball been berra, berra good to me." The funniest thing to me in the skit was the tell-all book he wrote entitled, "Bad Stuff 'Bout the Mets" Then he gives an example in the interview about "Ed Kranepool, a Mets player in the 60's and 70's, "He borrow Chico's soap and never give it back". Classic funny stuff. I'm laughing while I'm writing this. This is painting 281 in my Painting A Day Series. Commission Painting - Sold.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary J DuVal said...

Darren, I've always enjoyed lettering and trying to paint it, but never seem satisfied with the results. Whenever I see lettering in a painting, I tend to examine it carefully, and if it's good, wonder how the heck the accomplished it. Yours is wonderful. Do you have a tip or 2 that helps you create a type-finish look that you wouldn't mind sharing?

6:33 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Wonderful post - both the painting (which is fantastic) and the memory of Saturday Night Live - I shared your laugh when I read it - it was never funnier than at that time. Garrett Morris - "..and now tonight's top stories for the hearing impared..." classic!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker