Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Lollipop - by Darren Maurer

6" x 7"
When I was kid and one of my parents would use the drive-thru at the bank, the teller would always do a head count for kids in the vehicle. Then my sister and I would get a piece of candy. My favorite bank candy was always these lollipops with the rope handle on them. I don't know where the bank got these because I have never seen them anywhere else. To this day I have never seen them for sale anywhere else. This week I was doing some business at a bank other than my own here in town. I had never stepped foot into the door of this particular bank before today. When I went inside, what did I see in a basket behind the counter? A pile of these lollipops. Of course I had to ask for one. I for sure wanted to use it for a painting and then consume it while riding around in the back seat of a green 1968 Ford LTD. We thought the built in 8-track player was soooooooooooooooooooo cool. This is painting 274 in my Painting A Day Series. Painting Sold.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lollipop, very popular candies for kis, your work and words make me recalled memories of my childhood too...

1:06 AM  
Blogger John Vander Stelt said...

Darren, this is an iconic image of my childhood too. The guy who delivered fuel oil to our house always had these type of suckers in his truck and would give them to us kids. They are a rarity. I believe they were called "Safety Suckers" because of the rope handle instead of a dangerous stick. Thanks!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

I never liked the suckers because I always got the string extremely sticky and gross ...but now about the 8 tracks ...they were very cool. (I still have some 8 track tapes just because I'm sentimental)

The painting is wonderful - takes me (and I'm sure everyone else) way back -

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker