Sunday, November 02, 2008

Pine Cone #3 - Daily Painting by Darren Maurer

6" x 8"
I think pine cones are very challenging to capture in paint. Not one is the same and they are an abstractly shaped object. They have several planes and shapes all catching the light slightly differently. I looked at this pine cone from many different angles before deciding to use a very low vantage point for the painting. I like showing small objects from a low close vantage point because most people don't look at things that way. As always, I tried to to just concentrate on only shapes and colors and painting them in the correct place. Not looking at the pine cone as a pine cone and only seeing the shapes and colors makes the painting much easier. This is painting 248 in my Painting A Day Series. Although... it is a commission painting and it is sold. I have one more medium sized commission painting I'm working on and then I will get back to posting some miniature paintings that will be for sale.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cara said...

Beautiful work -

6:34 PM  
Blogger Sylvia Jenstad said...

this is so cool... wow... I also love 'Tricycle #3'

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your works are great. lovely!!!

can u please tell me one thing, did u too start off learning to paint by copyin other artists , when u were young?

would be very grateful if u reply.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and ofcoz this pine cone is very very hot!

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker