Monday, August 25, 2008

Watermelon Wedges - Daily Painting by Darren Maurer

6" x 8"
Everyone loves the state they are from and their state is always the best to them for different reasons. Now here goes my soap box rant about my state. I love the fact that I was born and raised in the great state of Nebraska. I would never want to be from anywhere else. I love telling people I'm from Nebraska and all the stories from there. I'll always be a Nebraskan no matter where I live or how long I've lived there. The state was built on the work ethic of those who live there. Nowhere are there tougher or harder working people. Now before anyone gets upset and says, "We have tough hard working people too," I will say they could be just as tough and hard working, but not more. Most of my family resides in the western part of the state known as the "panhandle". (Note: A few other states have panhandles as well, but none as cool as ours.) They are all farmers and cattle ranchers. We have a family reunion "out west", as we refer to it in our house, every other year. This painting is from this year's reunion and shows a large bowl full of watermelon wedges. One of my favorite things when we all get together is the food. No catered affairs for us. Catering is for wussies. My mom and aunts coordinate the food situation as well as any of the best catering companies out there. It is always excellent. I really like how this piece worked out. The watermelon shapes create an almost abstract design in the piece but there is no mistaking freshly cut summer watermelon. I can almost smell it. This is painting 240 in my Painting A Day Series. Painting Sold.

2 Comments:

Blogger A Brush with Color said...

Beautiful watermelons! Great job!

7:03 AM  
Blogger Lainey said...

This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it!

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker