Saturday, January 19, 2008

Bluebill Duck Decoy- Daily Painting- by Darren Maurer


6"x8"

This species of duck, Greater Scaup, are also known by the nickname of a bluebill due to the grayish blue bill. Painting and designing duck stamps has a side reward of learning a lot about ducks. Bluebills are one of my favorite species of ducks to paint and also when given the chance to watch a group flying into a spread of decoys. I have a few bluebill decoys in my collection and this is one of the best ones. This decoy is made by attaching a painted cork body to a one inch thick piece of wood that forms the base of the decoy. The head is a carved piece of wood set on the cork body with a metal rod running through the cork anchoring it to the wooden base also. This is painting 195 in my Painting A Day Series. Painting Sold.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kellie Marian Hill said...

Hello! Just wanting to say how much I admire your work- this duck decoy is amazing, you've got such a way with textures- and that I'm linking to you from my blog at http://kelliehill.blogspot.com!

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I new a fellow that made decoys. The one represented here is a beauty and you`ve done it proud.

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker