Friday, December 14, 2007

Twin Bing Candy Bar - Daily Painting - by Darren Maurer


8"x8"

Our local Sioux City Art Center is planning a revolving show of 8"x8" original paintings. They are contacting well known area artists to supply a continuous group of 8"x8" paintings for the show and also offer them for sale. If an artist sells a painting they would like to have another painting from that artist to instantly replace the sold piece. I am planning on painting several pieces that have a local area connection. For example, this piece has a Sioux City connection to it. Palmer Candy Company is a very old Sioux City, Iowa family owned business. It began in Sioux City in 1878 and has been going strong every since. The company's signature candy bar is called the Twin Bing. (Click Here for Palmer Candy History) I decided to use a Twin Bing for a subject in this painting since they are all made by hand right here in town. The wrapper is a simple red and white design and still looks the same as it has for as long as I can remember. Both of my daughters have been begging to eat this candy bar but not until I was finished painting it. This is painting 187 in my Painting A Day Series. Painting Sold

2 Comments:

Blogger DToms said...

Great Painting!! It's interesting to learn where the Twin Bings come from. I've been eating them since I was kid here in Nebraska but used to have to send boxes of them to my sister in Texas. She'd get funny looks when she'd ask for them. Always had to send her "Runza's" too.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Darren Maurer said...

Thanks. Palmer's sells Twin Bings in bulk also. They also have boxes of seconds that they sell that weren't good looking enough to make it into the packages.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker