Thursday, November 09, 2006

Hooded Merganser Commission by Darren Maurer


8" x 10"
I have been busy finishing up some commission work and haven't been keeping up as well on my daily paintings. I finished the large commission landscape painting and delivered it tonight and my client loved it. Whewwwww!!!! Always a relief. After producing hundreds of paintings for people over the years, I'm still always afraid they might not like it. I was also commissioned to produce a painting of a duck. Here it is. My client is going to give it as a gift to a good friend for Christmas this year. My client wasn't concerned about species type or composition on the painting. As an artist, I like the freedom and I appreciate the trust they give me to produce a painting that they will be happy with. I decided to paint a sort of companion piece to my painting, "Reflection", that was chosen as Iowa Ducks Unlimited's Print of the Year for 2007. It is one of my very favorite paintings with waterfowl as subject that I have ever done. My client found me due to this wonderful artist's tool we call the internet. They noticed that I was a three time winner of Iowa's Duck Stamp Contest (2001, 2002, and 2007) and also the Iowa Ducks Unlimited Artist of the Year for the upcoming year of 2007 and hired me to produce this painting for a friend. Of course this painting isn't available, but I would welcome discussing other commission projects with anyone interested.

4 Comments:

Blogger Louis Boileau said...

Beautiful painting Darrin.

4:24 AM  
Blogger Peter Yesis said...

I agree, this is my favorite and I think your best duck painting to date. It is full of warm wonderful paint strokes and the color and the water blend perfectly. It is a great example of your talent and feeling for the subject. This is just jawing dropping great art.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Larry Seiler said...

nice hooded...!!! Delicate, sensitive...moody.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this piece, Darren! The colors are so rich and I can almost feel the textures of the bird's feathers and of the water. I particularly love the water. It reminds me of how the Iowa Great Lakes look and feel at summer's end! Your client is lucky, and I wouldn't blame him a bit for keeping it!! Love it!

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker